Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rowe Arboretum - Tami

Yesterday was such a beautiful day! The weather changed from Summer to Fall overnight. I couldn't resist grabbing my camera and finding a (free) place to shoot. I went to the Rowe Arboretum. By definition, an arboretum is a place where trees and shrubs are cultivated for research, education, and ornamental purposes. I knew I wouldn't find many vibrant colors this time of year, but I went late in the afternoon to experiment with exposure and lighting. I also wanted to play with depth of field (crisp focus in the foreground, blurry background - or vise versa). Here are a few of my favorites. I have not edited any of these images with Photoshop.




This was one of my first exposure errors. It's easy for me to look through the viewfinder and adjust shutter speed and aperture and forget to check the exposure meter to see if I'm on the right track to take a good photo. This is the "before" picture. Below is "after." I would love to be able to tell you I learned from this mistake and it never happened again, but as you'll see from the cloud photos (also below) that were taken about 15 minutes later, I'm not always a quick study.







Can you see the butterfly and the bee?

This is a little underexposed, but there are two bees in this one.





Ant on the bark of a tree

This was one of my favorite shots of the day.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you showed before and after. I hope it was a good day for you to go out and about. Looks like you learned a lot and took some amazing shots! I like your fav too, but also thought the tree trunk with path in background was sort of one that made me want to check out that path.

    ReplyDelete